FEDERAL CAREER PANEL AT FIU COLLEGE OF LAW
As part of the South Florida Chapter’s law student outreach program, the Federal Bar Association coordinated a Federal Career Panel at the Florida International University College of Law on October 16, 2018. Six prominent attorneys participated in the event:
- David Weinstein of Hinshaw & Culbertson, newly installed President of the South Florida Chapter and moderator for the panel;
- Bernardo Pastor, Chief of Federal Litigation and Appeals, Miami Dade County Attorney’s Office
- Alex Soto, SEC Senior Trial Counsel;
- Francis Viamontes, Assistant United States Attorney;
- Vanessa Chen, Assistant Federal Public Defender; and
- Stephanie Carman of Hogan Lovells and President, Dade County Bar Association.
This well-attended event, designed to inspire students to take action now for a successful career, sparked over an hour of back-and-forth discussion. Much of the advice revolved around internships, which allow you to build your professional reputation and test your interest in different area of law. The panelists also discussed how to effectively develop mentors, and the value of doing so. Andrew Balthazor, law clerk at Holland & Knight and the President of FIU’s FBA Student Chapter, coordinated the on-the-ground logistics of the event.
- Category: Law Student Events
- Date: October 16, 2018